My Trophy Life

Fitness | Nutrition | Lifestyle

Are Worried About Getting Enough Protein?

Posted by on May 2, 2014

Are Worried About Getting Enough Protein?

How much protein do I even need? On average, women should aim for 46 grams and 56 grams for men. Vegetarians get plenty of protein! Check out these plant based high protein sources. raw broccoli (2 cups = 6 grams) raw spinach (3 cups = 2 grams) chia seeds (1 tbsp = 3 grams) unsweetened raw almond butter (2 tbsp = 8 grams) unsweetened peanut butter (2 tbsp = 10 grams) unsweetened almond milk (1 cup = 1 gram) Bakery On Main unsweetened instant oatmeal (1 packet = 8 grams) steel cut oatmeal (1 cup cooked = 6 grams) Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread (Udi’s – 2 slices = 4 grams) Homemade hummus = (¼ cup = 9 grams) organic tempeh (4 oz = 20 grams) quinoa (1 cup cooked = 8 grams) vegan protein powder (3tbsp = 11 grams) lentils (1 cup cooked = 18 grams) hemp seeds (2 tbsp = 5 grams) beans -pinto, black, garbanzo (½ cup cooked = 7 grams) organic brown rice (1 cup cooked = 5 grams) Example menu for getting enough protein while eating vegan. Breakfast: Bakery On Main Oatmeal (8). Lunch: Spinach lentil soup (11) Snack: Vanilla Cinnamon Hemp Protein Smoothie (16) Dinner: Sauteed onions and broccoli with aromatic quinoa (11).  Total 46 grams. Here are the stats on some of your pescatarian options eggs (1 large egg = 6 grams) egg white (1 large white = 4 grams) canned light skipjack tuna (5 oz can drained, oil or water packed = 26 grams) canned albacore tuna (5 oz can drained, oil or water packed = 26 grams) wild caught canned salmon (half of a 7.5 oz can drained, water packed = 23 grams) wild caught salmon fillets (4 oz serving = 23 grams) wild caught domestic shrimp (6 oz serving, about 9 large shrimp = 36 grams) Example menu for getting enough protein while eating pescatarian. Breakfast: 2 Eggs and Udi’s gluten free toast (16). Lunch: Broccoli and brown rice stir fry (8). Snack: Hummus and baby carrots (9) Dinner: Spinach and tuna salad with lemon herb dressing (18). Total 51...

Read More

12 Secrets To Kick Ass At Life – (Part 2)

Posted by on Jan 20, 2014

12 Secrets To Kick Ass At Life – (Part 2)

4 Secrets For  A Kick Ass Body We’re working from the top down and the inside out. The first four secrets worked on your thoughts. Once you have your mind right you’ll want to get your body on the same path. In order to see results on the outside, place focus on what you’re putting inside your body. Going vegetarian, ditching dairy, shaking your sugar addiction, and opting for gluten free are the next four secrets for kicking ass at life and getting a killer body in the process. The 80/20 Principle 80% Purpose 20% Pleasure The 80/20 Principle is the foundation for everything. Basically it says you don’t need to do something 100% of the time to make a difference. In fact, if you cut yourself some slack you’ll see that this being healthy stuff isn’t so hard. Don’t get it twisted. You can not out exercise a bad diet. It just can’t be done. Your daily eating habits (aka your “diet”) are 80% of the body transformation equation. Exercise makes up the other 20%. The good news is you don’t need to be perfect to see real and lasting results. Find a balance between foods that are purposeful (foods that you eat because they’re a good source of protein, healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, or are high in vitamins, minerals, and other phyto-nutrients) and foods that are pleasurable (foods you eat for a more emotional reason). 5. Go Vegetarian Or pesce-tarian or flexi-tarian or whatever version of vegetable eater you can handle. The closer you can get to a vegetarian diet the better off you’re going to be health and karma wise. Vegetarians tend to make better lifestyle choices, which, research suggests contributes to why studies reveal vegetarians live longer, suffer fewer heart attacks and strokes, have less incidence of cancer, prescription drug use, and obesity. Vegetarians also report better moods than their meat eating counterparts. Typically, vegetarians avoid all animal products adding only animal by-products, such as, dairy and eggs to their diet. A Pesce-tarian chooses to eat a vegetarian diet plus adding seafood into the mix. A flexi-tarian is a “sometimes vegetarian” who chooses to eat mostly vegetarian dishes but will also have meaty meals. An easy strategy for changing your lifestyle is to commit to a few days a week or a few meals each day. Once you acclimate to this initial phase you can start...

Read More